Derrold Norgaard is a Fellow of the BC Institute of Chartered Accountants and has been accredited as a Certified Financial Planner. For most of his career, Derrold was a Tax Partner with KPMG LLP, one of Canada's largest accountancy and consultancy firms, working out of both the Vancouver and Victoria offices. Derrold held the dual role of Tax Partner in Victoria and Office Managing Partner for the office until his departure from KPMG LLP in 2008.
Derrold is the Principal behind Island Tax. Derrold focuses on a family office role acting as a private tax advisor for high wealth individuals, families and businesses. His team of assistants and associates allow for his work and practice to take place across Canada.
Derrold's primary areas of practice include personal tax planning, international tax and corporate taxation. He has authored several articles on Canadian tax planning and has been an instructor in Canadian Institute tax programs for many years. He is a frequently requested speaker to business groups throughout Canada and Asia. He has also been recognized as one of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC, and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, Top Instructors for his teaching in various tax programs over the years, including the Advanced Tax Program sponsored jointly by the Canadian Tax Foundation.
|Education Bachelor of Business Administration||Simon Fraser University||1985|
|Chartered Accountant (Honours)||Gold and Silver medal winner for examinations||1986|
|Certified Financial Planner||1998|
|Fellow of Chartered Accountants||2007|
Over the years, Derrold has worked on a variety of assignments throughout Canada including;
- Advising on Canadian personal and corporate taxation for small business owners and their accountants
- Advising on real estate syndications
- Advising on mergers and acquisitions, including negotiating financial arrangements
- Advising on corporate acquisitions and divestitures
- Advising on US and international taxation matters, including
- Advising non-Canadians on Canadian investments
- Minimizing taxes for non-Canadians doing business in Canada or moving to Canada
- Minimizing taxes for Canadian business owners and employees with assets overseas
- Advising companies on the structuring of foreign investment activities
- Advising companies of the processes and implications of going public
- Advising companies on tax effective incentive plans for key employees
In addition, Derrold has also been an active speaker and seminar leader for the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, the Certified General Accountants Institutes of British Columbia and Hong Kong, as well as various business associations throughout Canada, Germany, and several Pacific Rim nations.
Community Service and Membership
Chair of BC Cancer Foundation, Major Gifts committee Vice Chair of BC Cancer's Inspire the World Capital Campaign Former Canadian Association of Family Enterprise, President, Director and Treasurer Formerly Sidney and North Saanich Little League, President, Treasurer and Fundraiser BC Institute of Chartered Accountants; Former Chair, SCA Examinations Accounting Past President, Victoria Association of Chartered Accountants